Friday, August 04, 2006

Whats in a name?

There are so many people here and quite a few departments. I am being introduced to new people everyday usually on first name basis. There is a large Indian community in the company as well as in Kuwait.

Though I can remember English names being exposed to Engligh movies, dramas, novels etc., and having studied in UK (A friend of mine once said that some people flaunt their London connection their whole lives after spending just 10 months in UK. So what?).

Anyway, I find it very hard to remember Indian names unless it is Amitabh, Abhishek, Bachan, Anil, Kapoor, Mithun, Chakraborty, Sachin, Tendulkar or Rahul (courtesy Shahrukh Khan). However, at the present company I find names which I am not used to hearing such as Arvind, Amit, Yogish, and Hemant etc. and sometimes more than one person has the same first name. In that case I also have to remember the last name further adding to the complexity.

Its not that I am complaining or have some vendetta against Indians. Whether in UK (here is my London connection again) or here, I usually hangout with Indian because they are humble and easy to get along with. However, this does not change the fact that they have unusual and very difficult names even for a London return Pakistani (sorry. I just cant help avoiding the London connection).

No comments: